POLL: New App Selection Menu

We have changed the way you select the app within our portal. It is now a dropdown menu instead of a separate App selection menu. The main advantage of this, is it is much more mobile / touch device friendly.

Let us know which you prefer after trying out our new style app selection dropdown!

• Dropdown App List
  • Original App Menu
  • Doesn’t matter

0 voters

Screenshot of new Dropdown:

1 Like

Early guess based on my experience with both, is anyone that uses a Desktop PC exclusively will probably prefer the old style App selection. Anyone who wants to be able to switch Apps while on mobile will probably prefer this new style Dropdown. If we can get enough votes in, we will stick with the more popular choice of the two. Comments are welcome as well to let us know which works best for you in your use case.

1 Like

I prefer the drop down selection menu. It is much easier and smoother for me to use. I also think it is quicker when you want to change app.

1 Like

Plus the other one barely works at all on touch screen devices. Thanks for the feedback!

1 Like

I gave the drop down menu a more complete work out this morning. I had not tried the old method on a touch screen monitor so I’ll take your word on how bad it was. I did try the new drop down menu on a touch screen monitor this morning and I definitely like how easy it is to use. Hope it stays with drop down menu.

1 Like

The only downside I’ve seen to the drop down is it gets extremely long when you have 20+ apps enabled. Not a common scenario for most I don’t think

1 Like

not at this time, but that may change. At that point you will have to learn how do show the menu in pages. :laughing:

1 Like

Actually I realized a big problem (for me at least) with this new menu for apps! I cannot change my default app, and it is set to an app I hardly ever use.

Probably not a big problem for most, as having SmartPBX be the default is likely what almost everyone would want anyways. I just happen to have had the accounts app set as my default on the account I use internally, which only has a few testing subaccounts so is not overly useful.

I can swap my default in the database to get around that, but I am wondering if this will cause issues for others in the future

1 Like

Funny you should bring that up. Last week somehow I changed the default app and didn’t even know how I did it. After a day I has about to ask you how I could change it back and found out how easy it was, just click and drag

1 Like

I think the default of SmartPBX should be fine for 90% or more of the users. So it opens SmartPBX and then then can choose to use a different app

1 Like

Agreed. A very small amount may prefer something like user portal or operator if the account is already fully setup. Or perhaps the WebRTC browser based phone

1 Like